Come along with me...

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Winter Musings

The world seems as if it's been washed so many times that all the color has been lost. The bits of snow left clinging to the side of the road has lost it's sparkle. Whites are turned to brown, drained to gray. I miss bright blues, white puffy clouds, and strong sunlight.

Winter is only a few weeks in, and already I find myself longing for the feeling of sun on my skin.

Tom and I took a walk a few weeks ago through the park in our town. The cold air slapping against our faces, we talked about why we live in New Jersey. There is nothing pleasurable about the cold months. Our price of living is astronomical. It will take Tom and I years to afford the house we dream of, taking the vacations we long for, have the wedding we imagine. Our state is made the butt of every bad media joke. The latest poster-child for the garden state is a grown man who refers to himself in third person as "The Situation." Seriously? Seriously?
We could easily move somewhere else and trade in these terrible, bitter days for a slower pace of life, longer warm months, and cheaper housing. South Carolina perhaps, Florida maybe. Even back to Indiana- sure they have long winters too, but wouldn't they be easier to swallow in a 4 bed room, brand new home that we payed less than 150,000 dollars for? I'm suddenly imagining our two labs (not yet adopted) running through our fenced in back yard. Tom and I enjoying one of my cooking master pieces in our sparkling gourmet kitchen... Back to reality, back to New Jersey.
But we're here. And really, underneath it all I know these are just pipe dreams. Dreams I probably wouldn't want to ever become a reality. It's easy to muse over changes when I know they're not going to take place. I do love New Jersey- and my Jersey Shore (not the drunk, teased up, MTV version). There is no place on earth that makes me feel more at peace than LBI in summer, or Belmar on an empty, fall day. And of course I don't know if I could be far away from my friends or family...
I'll hang on. Bundle up and do the only thing I can under these circumstances... Wish for a snow day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers